Distilled by the GSC company, the Cossacks-brand vodka is a clear distilled liquor composed of water and ethyl alcohol. Vodka is made from a fermented substance of either grain, rye, wheat, potatoes, or sugar beet molasses. Vodka’s alcoholic concentration usually ranges between 35 to 70 per cent by volume.
It is an extremely popular drink in the Zone, arguably even more than energy drinks, as it removes radiation and "smooths the rough edges" of a stalker's life.
Shadow of Chernobyl
Vodka made by the GSC company. Goes down easily and significantly reduces the effects of radiation, but for obvious reasons should be enjoyed in moderation.Shadow of Chernobyl in-game description
In Shadow of Chernobyl, vodka isn't particularly hard to find. Most experienced stalkers and above will carry a bottle and most traders will sell these. It purges 30% of radiation from the rad counter and slightly heals the player, but makes the player drunk.
- One bottle can be found in the furnace in the house to the left of Sidorovich's bunker
- Many bottles can be found in the Bandits armory, in the Dark Valley.
- One bottle can be found on a high shelf on the top floor of the Agroprom Research Institute.
- Under the bush by the wall x1
- Secret stash under the cross x1
- Backpack of Weakling x1
- Three bottles can be found on the tables in the 100 Rads bar.
Vodka reappears in Clear Sky as it did in Shadow of Chernobyl. It's sold by barman only and can normally be found on stalkers of all proficiencies.
Call of Pripyat
In Call of Pripyat the drunkenness effect is changed substantially, while removing radiation it decreases satiety as well. Vodka is also needed by Cardan to perform most upgrades, if one hasn't shown him Item 62.
In all games, drinking vodka will cause the player to become drunk. Drunkenness affects the player's ability to center one's view as it sways in different directions and vision as it causes the player to have blurred vision and flashing colors. Also, the effects of drunkenness worsens as the player continues to down vodka. This effectively degrades the player's ability in combat as this makes it incredibly hard to take an accurate shot.
All the effects are removed when the player starts to become sober, which usually occurs in a few minutes but the duration is ultimately affected on how much vodka the player has drunk recently.
- The "GSC company" is a reference to the makers of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series: GSC Game World.
- The "Cossacks brand" is a reference to the Cossacks real time strategy video game series, which was also created by GSC Game World.
- The presence of vodka as an anti-radiation drug is a reference to a popular theory during the cleanup of the Chernobyl distaster, where it was widely believed by the plant workers and clean-up crew that alcoholic drinks, mainly vodka and red wine, can cure radiation poisoning from the body.
- In Call of Pripyat, since vodka reduces nourishment, one can effectively drink themselves to death.