Father Diodor (Otets Diodor / Отец Диодор) is an expert loner who appears only in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.
Background[edit | edit source]
Diodor is a veteran of the war in Afghanistan. After surviving a Mujahideen ambush, he converted from atheism to Christianity and, following the end of his tour of duty, he emigrated to Poland and joined a seminary. After graduation, he served as a priest in a Catholic church in Lviv. Following the Chernobyl disaster, he volunteered to help the victims of the catastrophe. When the Zone emerged, he came to it to continue his career as a preacher.
His teachings are pretty radical, especially to Sidorovich. Diodor preaches that artifact trading and hunting drives people to sin, not just in the Zone, but the entire world; his solution to this is simple: destruction of all artifacts one can find. What's worse, he managed to convert some stalkers to follow his lead - and that's one bridge too far...
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Shadow of Chernobyl[edit | edit source]
Father Diodor, an expert loner, is found in the Army Warehouses, in the center Stalker camp and usually stays there. On rare occasions he will wander to the northern farmstead and back.
He is the target of Sidorovich's mission to kill Father Diodor, as his preaching threatens the lucrative artifact trade the former has set up.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In an ironic twist, his weapon, the Combat Chaser, contained a small fragment of the Gravi artifact in the barrel. Him using artifacts somewhat contradicts his preaching that artifacts are evil and should be destroyed.
- He is one of only two people in the series to carry the title of Father, the other is Father Valerian.
- Father Diodor could be a reference to Gutalin from Roadside Picnic, who believes that artifacts are evil and "destroys" (buries them in the Zone) them whenever possible. This is likely due to S.T.A.L.K.E.R being based off "Roadside Picnic", and containing numerous references to the book.
References[edit | edit source]
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, stable_bio_name.xml: Took part in the war in Afghanistan. Formerly an atheist, but after surviving a Mujahideen ambush, he emerged a religious man. After the war in Afghanistan, he emigrated to Poland where he enrolled into a theological seminary. Having graduated from the seminary, he preached at the Catholic church in Lvov. After the explosion at the Chernobyl NPP, he volunteered to help the victims. In the last few years has been preaching in the Zone.
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Kill Father Diodor quest description: I always said business and religion can't go together, they can never cross, and should never ever meddle in the other's affairs! It's just this padre, Lord forgive me, Diodor... well... he just can't see this simple truth. He keeps raving about artifact hunting, says that trading in them drives people to sin not just in the Zone, but in the whole world, on and on along those lines. Get this, he preaches the destruction of artifacts altogether! See what he is up to? The worst bit is that he's actually got some converts! I've tried to approach this Diodor this way and other, but he just keeps at it. Here's the deal: you're going to send him upstairs where he can preach all he likes... you get the point, right? And I'll give you a cool artifact. So, we've got a deal?