Dude, you seen this Magpie guy? Know him? No...? Well, if you come across that scumbag, feel free to put a bullet in his head.Gonta
In Search of Magpie is a mission available in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat.
The mission can be triggered by going to the Skadovsk medic office. There, the player will find two hunters, Gonta and Garmata, discussing the whereabouts of a stalker named Magpie. When asked, Garmata replies that despite asking everybody, he didn't get any name, commenting "the guy's like a poltergeist or something.". Gonta then notices the player and requests their help to find Magpie.
After accepting the mission from Gonta, this mission seems like a dead end at every turn. Any stalker the player speaks to either doesn't know of Magpie, or doesn't know where he is. Owl has some information for the player for 1000 RU, but it is not necessary to purchase this hint to advance the mission. Owl tells the player that he won't be found in Zaton: he's actually hanging around Yanov. He also says that Magpie may be using a disguise to hide his tarnished identity.
At Yanov, there is a man named Flint who proudly boasts to other stalkers of his accomplishments. After listening to him speak, players can make the connection immediately: these aren't his accomplishments at all, rather, he's taking credit for achievements that the player did! Flint is first found talking about how he killed a Controller singlehandedly, and will eventually boast about many things if the player returns:
- Finding the maps for Pilot (Area Maps).
- Destroying the bloodsucker lair in Zaton (Bloodsucker Lair).
- Placing the sixth and final scanner in the Yanov anomaly fields (Anomalous Studies).
- Slaying the Yanov area Chimera (Nocturnal Hunt).
- Rescuing the Loner hostage from the bandits (Hostage).
- Finding the Oasis (Oasis).
If the player has done enough of the corresponding sidequests, Flint will suddenly talk about how he "helped" hunters back in Zaton, which exposes himself as being Magpie. This launches a new quest to expose him: False claims.
Another way to force Flint to expose himself as a liar is by finding the Loner Splinter at the Quarry. Splinter is dying of his wounds: he thanks the player if offered a Medkit, but says it won't help. With his last breath, he tells the player that he and Flint were hunting artifacts and that Flint left him to die in the chemical anomaly field. This launches the quest Retribution. Coincidentally, upon arrival back at Yanov, Flint will be boasting about grabbing a rare artifact. The player can call his bluff and he will admit to leaving Splinter to die as well as abandoning the hunting team back in Zaton.
False Claims and Retribution
The player has several faction disposition-influencing options at this point.
- Turning Flint in to Duty: Lt. Shulga is initially hesitant to lend an ear to the player, stating that it is not his business, but his values eventually make him send some faction Experts in to deal with the backstabber. This increases relations with Duty.
- Turning Flint in to Freedom: Loki is eager to deal with the stain in his ranks. This increases relations with Freedom.
- Turning Flint in to Gonta: This easy-to-forget option is what Gonta wanted in the first place. He will then head to Yanov to kill Flint himself.
No matter what the player does, this will resolve both quests.
The player will earn 3000RU and a stash location if they report Flint directly to Gonta. If the player reports him to Duty/Freedom instead, Gonta will give only 1000RU, although this gives the player a chance to get the Wind of Freedom suit/PS5-M Universal Protection, as well as contributing to get the A Friend of Freedom/A Friend of Duty achievement.
The player will also get the Courier of Justice achievement.
- The Courier of Justice achievement is bugged. The reward for the player's efforts is supposed to be Flint's equipment, but it never arrives in the player's personal box.