X-16 focused on researching one of the side discoveries of The Group's research: that living creatures are able to generate directed psy-emissions. A biological field emitter, essentially a giant brain, was grown as part of the research, using equipment from Lab X-18.
The lab is located beneath the factory complex at Lake Yantar, in a secure underground bunker, sheltered from the outside world. Its structure is fairly uncomplicated, with the main, circular chamber (resembling the shape of a silo) housing the emitter's mechanisms; and the access halls and research facility, where test subjects were kept for study.
Originally, X16's psy-emitter was called the "Miracle Machine" because it created small scale emissions, though they were not lethal to anyone distant from the factory complex. As a result of a malfunction in its cooling system, the emitter began to create uncontrolled emissions. This caused anyone who was unlucky enough to be caught there while salvaging equipment near it to turn into Zombified Stalkers, wreaking havoc in Yantar.
A stalker team that worked for Sakharov discovered that the emissions were caused by the faulty cooling system. They also discovered that it was cooling an unidentified device located under the complex. This led to the discovery of lab X-16. With this information, Sakharov was able to discover that the cooling device could be repaired from outside lab X-16. He sent Scar and the stalker group led by Lefty to battle the hordes of zombies in the complex and repair the cooling system.
Shadow of Chernobyl
In Shadow of Chernobyl, X-16 was raided by Vasiliev and Ghost, one of Strelok's companions, before the Marked One's arrival. He proceeded inside to retrieve a few documents from Ghost, and had to turn off the lab's psy-emitter - the "Miracle Machine" - to proceed safely, recovering more of his lost memories when the final plug was pulled. By then, the laboratory was littered with a multitude of small fires (some with bones among the wood), dead and mutilated corpses of stalkers in various states of decomposition, the freshest of which are of Military personnel and the Monolith faction, which indicate a fierce battle was fought inside not too long before. It was inhabited by a large number of Zombified Stalkers, some Snorks, and a single Controller, who killed Ghost. The only exit from the lab (as the elevator near the entrance is deactivated and the ladders close by are broken and can't be reached from the bottom) is a structural fault in one of the basins of the Controller's den that leads to a large drainage tunnel network with a manhole access to the surface, which the Marked One used to escape.
Notable items you can find here, along with a few artifacts, include a Berill-5M Armored Suit, an SSP-99 Ecologist Suit (in a crate near the Berill-5M Armored Suit), and the X-16 documents, which you must deliver to the Barkeep. Random items spawn in small white boxes, such as 7.62x54mm 7N1 rounds, 7.62x54mm 7N14 rounds, 7.62x54mm BP rounds, 9x39mm SP-5 rounds, 9x39mm SP-6 rounds, or Scientific Medkits.
- In Call of Pripyat, laboratory X-16 is specifically mentioned in one of the documents found in lab X8. X16's ultimate purpose was to create an organic brain for study regarding psychic experiments.
- It is also briefly seen in the intro, with several scientists in a picture.
- In Shadow of Chernobyl, since crates need more knife force to open them on higher difficulty settings, the SSP-99 Ecologist suit has a good chance of falling through the floor and dropping right down to the entrance. Side swipes are more successful.
- In Shadow of Chernobyl, the player is capable of entering Lab X-16 without a psi-helmet, as the psi-emissions outside of Lab X-16 can be survived by using enough medical supplies. There is also no psi-field inside Lab X-16 itself, so the player can explore the area without taking damage. The player will instantly die if they enter the room with the Miracle Machine, though.
- "The documents refer to one of the side discoveries of the research, specifically the discovery that living creatures are able to generate directed psy-emissions. A biological field emitter, essentially a giant brain, was grown as part of the research conducted in lab X16.
These documents must not fall into anyone else's hands, as they would be of great interest to USS analysts." -Research documents