A modified M203 grenade launcher that has been shortened by three inches, attached to weapons by means of a Picatinny Rail. Thanks to a changed mount, this grenade launcher is widely used around the world.Call of Pripyat item descrition
Manufactured by Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft, the Gewehraufsatz 97, named in-game as an M203, is a Swiss single-shot, underbarrel grenade launcher that's designed for NATO weaponry. It uses 40mm M203 Grenade rounds.
The 97 is a very lethal weapon that launches grenades at a long distance, much longer than a standard thrown grenade and with a little practice, one can use it as a bombardment weapon to rain pain on unsuspecting enemies whilst being relatively safe. A word of caution though as like every explosive device if one is not careful where he is shooting one might kill himself because of the grenade's blast radius, therefore it is not appropriate nor is it wise to use it in close quarters.
Although named as "M203" and referred to in the code as "upgrade_m203", this is not an actual M203. It is instead a much more obscure military grenade launcher produced by SIG.
This launcher can only be mounted on a few NATO weapons. Upgrades might be necessary in order to mount it.
Shadow of Chernobyl
Call of Pripyat
The weapon is found in all three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games albeit uncommon.
Shadow of Chernobyl
- One can be found in a stash in the Wild Territory - Secret stash in the garage. The stash info can be acquired from dead Stalkers in the Wild Territory, Army Warehouses, or Yantar, regardless of their faction.
- Barkeep awards the player with a TRs 301, plus every compatible accessory, namely M203, silencer and SUSAT scope after completing the mission Find artifact Goldfish. Note that this mission will only be offered after the Brain Scorcher has been disabled and all of Barkeep's 'artifact retrieval' missions have been completed.
- Lukash awards the player with a SGI 5k and an M203, M209 grenades, as well as 5.56 x 45mm AP ammo, after clearing the village for Freedom.
- Freedom's armory also contains a TRs 301 with the grenade launcher mounted to it, a second TRs 301 has a SUSAT scope.
- The M203 can be purchased from Ashot after helping Freedom eliminate the Mercenaries in the Dark Valley. M209 grenades are found in many stashes in the Dark Valley, and Ashot occasionally sells them.
Call of Pripyat
- The M203 can be purchased - albeit rarely - from Owl after assisting one of the factions in Morgan's weapon deal.
- Hawaiian will always have it for sale if player manages to get A Friend of Freedom achievement.
- One can however be acquired fairly early in the game by taking one from damaged truck standing behind Waste Processing Station in Zaton, along with 2 M209 grenades.
- Owl will sell them after finishing Missing Stalkers and either Shady Business or Compass missions and getting A Wealthy Client achievement.
- Similar to M203, Hawaiian will sell grenades after getting A Friend of Freedom achievement.
- 4 grenades, along with TRs-301 and 120 5.56x45mm SS109 rounds can be found on the very north of Zaton (north to big lake), lying in some bushes (you can get coordinates from Gonta if you will tell him about Magpie without telling it to any of faction leaders).
- In single player, it can only be mounted on the SGI 5K and TRs-301, while in Multiplayer, it can be mounted on all NATO weapons (minus the FT-200M as it has an integrated Grenade Launcher).
- When M203 is mounted on TRs-301, it uses the same reloading sound as GP-25, but when it's mounted on other NATO weapon, it uses completely other sound (and fitting better to animation).
- Since most NATO weapons can have it attached in MP, it can be changed in the weapon config file(s) to have them all mount it (and since they have the position data on them for MP, you just change the variable for it to work, and it will be inline with no glitches).
- If you fire the grenade launcher at point-blank range, the shell explodes. This would be unrealistic as grenade shells do not detonate at point blank-range in real life as a shell needs about 10 meters for it to be armed.
- "Gewehraufsatz 97" is abbreviated "GwA.97" (which appears on the in-game model). It's also known as the GL5040. A variant known as the GL5140 is made for the SG551 carbine.