With the deactivation of the Brain Scorcher and the eradication of the Military Stalker unit at the end of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, a plan was devised to initiate a full-scale invasion of the CNPP which was reportedly still under the control of the Monolith. Using maps of anomaly fields taken by the exterminated unit, a vanguard consisting of five state-of-the-art attack helicopters each carrying a crew of Spetsnaz operators was dispatched to establish a foothold within Chernobyl to prepare for the arrival of the main attack force.
At the onset of the game, all five helicopters do not return and are widely believed to have crashed. Major Alexander Degtyarev, an experienced Stalker, is assigned by the USS to investigate the causes for the failure of Operation Fairway.
The vanguard was commanded on the ground by Colonel Kovalsky and was comprised of around 40 to 60 men, including the helicopter pilots. By the time the Major arrives in Pripyat, the vast majority of them are confirmed killed-in-action and the survivors are holding out inside a fortified laundromat.
- Col. Kovalsky - Field commander, Stingray 1 survivor.
- Sgt Ostrovsky - KIA, Pripyat. Member of Klimenko's squad.
- Sgt Valyushok - KIA, Pripyat. Member of Klimenko's squad.
- Sgt Merkulov - KIA, Pripyat.
- Sgt. Yarmoshuk - KIA, Pripyat.
- Lt. Podorozhny - Military Stalker and member of Tarasov's squad.
- WO Valentyr - Military Stalker and member of Tarasov's squad.
- Cpt. Tarasov - Leader of the remaining active squad, he escorts the Major in acquiring a working Gauss Rifle from the Monolith's Preacher.
- Snr. Sgt. Morozov - KIA, by Preacher, Member of Tasarov's squad, designated marksman.
- Cpt. Klimenko - KIA, Pripyat. Killed by his men under a Controller's influence.
- Lt Sergieyev - KIA, Pripyat. Member of Klimenko's squad.
- Lt Kirillov - Technician and quartermaster.
- Lt Rogovets - Field medic.
- Lt Stetsenko - KIA, Pripyat. Suicide under a Controller's influence.
- Lt Skelya - KIA, Pripyat.
Stingray's Crew Members
|Helicopter||Rank & Name||Survived the Crash||Status||Location||Notes|
|Stingray 1||Colonel Kovalsky||Yes||Alive||Laundromat||Field commander|
|Sergeant Shlyachin||Yes||K.I.A||Body near Stingray 1, Yanov||Body found|
|Unnamed Pilot||No||K.I.A||Body inside Stingray 1, Yanov||Mentioned only|
|Senior Lieutenant, Unnamed.||Yes||K.I.A||Pripyat, exact location unknown||Mentioned only|
|Stingray 2||Sergeant Gazda||Yes||K.I.A||Body near Stingray 2, Zaton||Body found|
|Captain Furtez||Yes||K.I.A||Body near Stingray 2, Zaton||Body found|
|Sergeant Shveiko||Yes||K.I.A||Body near Stingray 2, Zaton||Body found|
|Stingray 3||Captain Tarasov||Yes||Alive||Laundromat||Leader of the remaining active squad.|
|Senior Sergeant Morozov||Yes||Alive||Laundromat||Presumed to have been on the Stingray 3, marksman|
|Lieutenant Podorozhny||Yes||Alive||Laundromat||Presumed to have been on the Stingray 3|
|Warrant Officer Valentyr||Yes||Alive||Laundromat||Presumed to have been on the Stingray 3|
|Warrant Officer Umerov||Yes||K.I.A||Body near Stingray 3, Zaton||Body found|
|Senior Lieutenant Smolyak||Yes||K.I.A||Body near Stingray 3, Zaton||Body found|
|Lieutenant Drapei||Yes||K.I.A||Body near Stingray 3, Zaton||Body found|
|Stingray 4||Senior Lieutenant Sokolov||Yes||Alive||Firstly in Yanov Mobile Lab, later found in the Laundromat||Sole survivor, co-pilot|
|Stingray 5||Major Neborsky||Yes||K.I.A||Near Scanning Station; exact location is unknown||Mentioned only|
|Senior Sergeant Batyai||Yes||K.I.A||Pripyat, exact body location is unknown||Mentioned only, sniper|
|Unnamed Soldier 1||Yes||Alive||Pripyat||Mentioned only|
|Unnamed Soldier 2||Yes||Alive||Pripyat||Mentioned only|
|Unnamed Soldier 3||Yes||Alive||Pripyat||Mentioned only|
- There are numerous other randomly-named Spetsnaz operators and Military Stalkers found as zombified stalkers wandering throughout Zaton, Yanov, and Pripyat. It can be assumed that some of them were the other Stingray survivors who have met an unfortunate fate.
- Despite the operation being considered a failure at the beginning of the game, it should be noted that Kovalsky and Degtyarev are still actively trying to salvage the mission by eliminating the dwindling Monolith presence in Pripyat and collecting evidence of secret laboratories in the Zone.