|The following is based on S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
The Brain Scorcher strips its victim of mind and reason, leaving only an empty, mindless shell.
Cut Text From the PDA Encyclopedia
PDA Overview[edit | edit source]
The Brain Scorcher strips its victim of mind and reason, leaving only an empty, mindless shell. The brainless bodies then turn into zombies, following only the most basic instincts, wandering aimlessly around the Zone without weapons or clothing. Zombies are little more than sluggish walking corpses, caring only about food and sleep. They eat and drink just about anything they can get their claws on but the animation of them eating is not included, hence they are virtually soaked in radiation and toxic waste. Usually they roam the Zone without any apparent purpose, or just lie corpse-like in abandoned buildings. However, as soon as they sense the presence of a human being, they attack immediately. Experienced stalkers have learned to avoid them if they can.
Appearance and Behaviour[edit | edit source]
Zombies are typically seen wearing civilian clothing. They are barefooted, walk in a hunched posture with a slacked jaw. Upon noticing a noise in their vicinity or being attacked, they raise an arm in their chosen direction of travel and speed up to a rapid stumble. Their clothing raises intrigue as most personnel residing in the zone wears military gear while these Zombies wear civilian clothing, possibly meaning that some of these were scientists left behind to perish, or civilians who went deep into the Zone or tourists who went to the Zone before the first emission. One Zombie appearance includes a stitched cut running around the cranium, lending credence to the scientific research theory.
There exists another subtype of zombie, referred to as "Ghost". Ghost Zombies are highly resilient, and appear visibly scrambled—the reason for this unknown, although it is thought that the Zone is responsible for warping the molecular structure or molecules of these individuals at a quantum level.
Tactics[edit | edit source]
Being left with only the most basic instincts of finding and eating food, Zombies attempt to home in on the player, killing him with melee attacks. A zombie may fake its death once damaged enough, luring an attacker to close on them in an attempt to loot the corpse. The Zombie will attempt this tactic multiple times. Powerful weapons such as shotguns or grenades are effective in dispatching them.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zombies still exist in the games' files, and can be re-added through user-made modifications.
- They are a possible reference to "Moulages" in the book Roadside Picnic, which are recreations of dead people from inside the Visitation zones who died and were buried before the "Visitation". The main difference is that Moulages were docile, unlike the Zombies of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.
- The X-18 laboratory documents refer to subjects acting in a manner similar to these Zombies.
- Dead and decomposing civilian corpses in the zone have the skin name "Zombi_Corpse".
- Dead zombies are found hanging from trees near the Duty base, and near the Barrier.
- There are impaled zombies' heads in Shadow of Chernobyl. They are in the places occupied or patrolled by Monolithians, such as the Barrier in the Army Warehouses, the path to Lab X19 and the CNPP.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
My daughter.......don't worry daddy will come back soon.... - Spoken in Russian.
Soldier.....soldier....over here... - Spoken in Russian.
Gallery[edit | edit source]